While browsing another blog, I found a great challenge to make my “read 100 books in 2018 challenge” even more fun: the back to the classics challenge!
Check out the blog post for more info!
Here is a list of the challenge subjects plus the books I intend to read for it if I have thought of a title that is!
1. A 19th-century classic Going back to one of my favorites here: Arthur Conan Doyle – The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
2. A 20th-century classic Dove into my bookshelves for this one, and picked out: a portrait of the artist as a young man by James Joyce, and a room with a view by E.M. Forster. Will be either of these or another entirely different book, not sure yet 🙂
3. A classic by a woman author. Jane Austen obviously. Not sure which book yet though.
4. A classic in translation. As I am Dutch, and I will read most of the books in English, any book can qualify 🙂 I might pick up one of the French classics for this challenge.
5. A children’s classic. I have a marvelous edition of Winnie the Pooh, really look forward to reading it again!
6. A classic crime story. Going back to another love for this one: Ellery Queen. Not sure which book I will read, but it will be good 🙂
7. A classic travel or journey narrative, fiction or non-fiction. Going to add unbeaten tracks in Japan to my to-read list for this one.
8. A classic with a single-word title. Not sure, could be Cranford or Ivanhoe.
9. A classic with a color in the title. The Scarlet Pimpernel! Remember reading it years and years ago and think it would be fun to revisit.
10. A classic by an author that’s new to you. So many to choose from, I will just pick a book from the BBC list.
11. A classic that scares you. Don’t think I will read it, but I will at least try to read War and Peace.
12. Re-read a favorite classic. Too many to choose from! Will pick one later 🙂